TIPS FOR A MODELING PHOTO SHOOT
Follow the tips below to help make your modeling shoot a success.
- Be on time. Punctuality is always important at every photo shoot.
- Safety Tip: If you are not taking anyone with you to the photo shoot, let someone know where you are.
- Bring several outfits to showcase your many fashion styles.
- Take your own make-up to the photo shoot, even if there will be a make-up artist.
- It doesn’t hurt to get references from the photographer’s other clients.
- Never feel pressured to do anything that you do not feel comfortable with at a photo shoot.
- There should always be a signed release at every photo shoot. This should specify where and how your images might be used.
- Make sure you are well-rested, especially if a lot of travel is involved. You need to look and feel rested and fresh.
- Always present yourself in a very professional manner whether it be your first or 100th photo shoot. Photographers are often well-connected in the modeling industry and reputation is important.
- Keep your modeling portfolio updated with the latest fashion and clothing trends. One image isn’t going to make you modeling career.
- Communicate with the photographer as much as possible. He/she should know all your expectations, suggestions, and ideas.
- After the photo shoot, get input on which photos are best. Not just from the photographer, but also from friends, family, your agent, and any other industry professional.
Search Photographers | Submit Photographers
POSING TIPS AND PHOTO TIPS FOR MODELS
Most beautiful photographs don’t come naturally even with the most beautiful models. A photographer can give you some photo tips and guide you through a variety of model poses throughout the photo shoot. But whether you aspire to appear in print magazines or do high fashion shows, these modeling poses and photo tips will help you achieve more perfect photographs.
Do not hold your breath for a modeling pose; always remember to breathe and appear at ease.
Keep your back straight and your shoulders up. Slouching affects the mood of the photograph and enlarges the appearances of your stomach. Flex your stomach muscles. This will make your abdomen appear more toned despite your weight or state of shape.
When posing, make sure to differentiate your arms and legs with asymmetrical poses. If you have one arm long and straight by your side, make sure the other arm is bent. The bend will make the modeling pose look more real, less artificial. Continue the asymmetry to your legs. If one leg is locked straight, give the other leg a casual bend.
Do not always look directly into the camera. To enhance the quality of your photo shoot, look away from the camera with a mix of head and eye poses. Your head and neck can remain stationary and your eyes can do all the work. Look off to the right or left side. Tilt your neck. Try different facial expressions.
- Sitting Poses
Don’t slack off during sitting poses. If you are sitting down or reclining, put your weight on the back of one thigh, rather than distributing your weight equally on both thighs. This pose will result in a slimming effect!
While leaning forward bring your arms together at your waist, keep your arms straight at the elbows and clasp your hands together below your waist, or simply cross your arms. When leaning backward, raise your arms about your shoulders and head, keep your arms apart. Both poses will help maximize your cleavage.
To add variety to your modeling poses, try switching up your smile with a cute frown, a bratty bout, a friendly laugh, or even an edgy scowl. Your facial expressions can make or break your modeling poses.
Make sure the photo shoot includes different fashion styles. Remember your modeling portfolio and comp card need to show a diverse set of photographs and poses. These same fashion styles are also needed for modeling jobs, so knowing them will help you figure out what type of modeling you might fit into.
If you are interested in perfecting all the techniques, and learning more about different fashions, you can go to a modeling school. You will get additional training on posing, photo tips, walking down the runway, and a lot more.
Search schools | Submit schools